Captain Whidbey has 31 rooms and 112-year-old historic lodge. Enjoy a serene six-acre forest setting overlooking Penn Cove. Restaurant, bar, and dock for boats and seaplanes. The entire property can host up to 200 guests.
Q & A with Captain Whidbey
What is the story behind Captain Whidbey?
Since 1907, Captain Whidbey has been a locus of natural beauty, community gathering and quiet, exalted delight. A place where locals and visitors do things together – even if those things are simply eating, drinking, appreciating nature, looking out across the water, feeling alive, feeling grateful.
Captain Whidbey is the Unofficial Official Lodge of Ebey’s Landing National Historic Reserve. The gateway to beautiful and rugged, wild, Captain Whidbey fosters a sense of romance, a longing for adventure and a communion with the natural world.
Tell us about the view from Captain Whidbey.
Over looks beautiful Penn Cove.
What is unique about your venue?
The presence of the inn itself demands this kind of myth-making. Its hulking imperfections, hidden staircases and infinite doorways, narrow pathways and intricate stonework, call to mind an honest, handmade world, where times were slower and things were made to last. Rumors of its past are worn proudly on its proverbial sleeve – stripped wood where there once was a second floor balcony, prominently displayed plaques of historic register, mismatched sediments of historic photos, the speckled outline of a dart board and creaking floorboards. The front door was originally the back door because most guests arrived by boat.
What amenities do you have to offer for weddings?
- The restaurant is helmed by chef Eric Truglas, whose menu veers towards the French, rustic and hearty, with inventive shellfish dishes, breakfast boards, local produce from our garden, house-smoked meats, house-cured pickles and salmon, homemade bread, jam and other delicacies.
- Beautiful grounds, six acres.
- Lagoon front property for receptions.
- Penn cove views for ceremony.
- 30 guest rooms that accommodate 60+ guests.
- A dock for seaplane or boat arrival or departure.
What is your favorite wedding memory at Captain Whidbey ?
All of them … creating a memorable and one-of-a-kind “only at the Captain Whidbey” experience.